March for Europe
For preservation purposes and the ability to compare the written goals with the actual signs and messages carried by the protesters, I am adding here the official announcement:
March for Europe Berlin
Europe is in crisis. Fears over terrorism, the lack of a solution to the challenges of migration, crippling debt, and millions of young people stricken by unemployment: wherever you look, the success of the European project - for so long a source of freedom and prosperity - is on thin ice.
The current political situation is being exploited by a variety of groups who wish to put an end to a united and open Europe.
They preach national dominance, seek to isolate themselves by cutting ties with their neighbours, and detest the idea of a free and democratic society. They want to turn back the clock.
We refuse to stand back and watch this unfold!
Today, we Europeans can enjoy living in peace, freedom, and prosperity, and all because six European heads of state and government came together 60 years ago to sign the Treaties of Rome, laying the foundation for today’s European Union.
They turned their backs on war, suffering, and destruction in favour of commitment to cooperation, knowing that we are stronger when we seek to understand and work with each other.
On the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the Treaties of Rome, we are calling on everyone who believes in the European idea to come and take to the streets with us:
• for a united, free, open, and socially responsible Europe!
• for a Europe where human rights, freedom of opinion and the press, the rule of law, mutual understanding, and solidarity can flourish!
• for a Europe where citizens can participate in the democratic process to have their say!
• against the return to nationalism, isolationism, and confrontation!
Together with countless other citizens in Rome, London, Brussels, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Baden-Baden, Aalborg, and other European cities, we are standing up for Europe.
-- WHO WE ARE --
We are a collection of pro-European movements and associations, including:
• Europa-Union Deutschland e.V. (EUD), Europa-Union Berlin e.V. (EUB)
• Junge Europäische Bewegung Berlin-Brandenburg e.V. (JEB)
• Studierende der Europawissenschaften der FU Berlin
• The European Moment
• Stand Up for Europe
• Europeans e.V.
• Die Offene Gesellschaft
-- WHAT, WHERE, WHEN --
The March for Europe will take place at the same time in cities all over Europe.
In Berlin, we will meet on 25 March at 11.45am at Bebelplatz in Mitte.
At 12pm, we’ll walk from there to the Brandenburg Gate, where we’ll stage a demo featuring lots of different artists.